Friday, April 20, 2012

In a Slump; and Did Yeats Crochet?

'I said, ‘A line will take us hours maybe;
Yet if it does not seem a moment’s thought,
Our stitching and unstitching has been naught.'

                               from 'Adam's Curse'
                                    by William Butler Yeats


Although Yeats was talking about writing poetry in his poem "Adam's Curse" I can certainly relate to his feelings when I am designing. If a design doesn't flow easily for me, then I don't feel like it is worth publishing. 
And for the past year or so, it has been hard for me to get my 'creative flow' started. I have started several projects, even finished a few, and then just put them aside. 
I haven't released a new design in months, and my blog posts have been few and far between. I just haven't felt like I had anything worth sharing. 
       I did manage to get this set of doilies, called "Autumn Lace Doilies" finished, and they will be available for purchase soon, and I also have a new  design called "Town and Country Wrap." 
Being in a slump is discouraging to me. I have spent the last 25 years turning out one design after another, and my lack of new designs lately makes me feel unproductive and uncreative. 
But I have been through this before, and I know that eventually I will get back into the swing of things (hopefully very soon!) I have had 'dry spells' in the past, and there have even been times when I really felt like I wouldn't care if I never picked up a crochet hook again. 
But I know that sooner or later there will be a design or idea that sparks my interest, and I will be back on track.  Until then, I will just keep 'stitching and unstitching for naught.'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Girl ~ it always comes back. There's no killing God given giftedness. We just need a break now and then as the seasons of our lives ebb and flow. Everything you do is unique and more than lovely. You are worth waiting for. So just relax when you need to :)
Blessings to you,
Danette

Marifetane hobi said...

Çok güzel danteller tebrikler.

byhooks4u said...

I am hoping that this too shall pass for you..I hate the feeling I have when I just can't get in the groove. Looking foward to the new doilies..please let us know when we can purchase them. Have a great weekend. Blessings