Thursday, December 01, 2011

The Kitty Cap: A Free Crochet Pattern For You

Autumn, age 6, wearing her Kitty Cap


I love making gifts for my grandchildren, but when you have as many as I do, you need items that can be made in a hurry. So I designed this little cap for my granddaughters; it is very quick and easy to make. It makes a great gift or item to sell (yes, you can sell items made from any of my patterns!)

The corners stand up like little cat ears, so we decided to call it the "Kitty Cap." It fits a little girl between the ages of 3-10, but I used a smaller hook (5 mm) and made one that fit my 18 month old granddaugter, Lilly. I haven't tried it, but you could probably use a larger hook and make one that would fit an adult.

KITTY CAP
by Elizabeth Ann White
for BellaCrochet

Skill Level: Easy

Size: 3-10 years (19”-21” head)

Gauge: 3 dc = 1” and 2 dc rows =1 1/4”

Materials:
3 ozs. Worsted Weight Yarn
Size I (5.50mm) Crochet Hook

Rnd 1: Ch 29, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 24 chs, 3 dc in next ch (ch at end); working in remaining lps on opposite side of chain, dc in each of next 25 chs; join with sl st in top of ch-3. (First 3 chs count as first dc; 54 dc made)

Rnds 2-9: Ch 3 for first dc, dc in each st around, join with sl st in top of ch-3. (54 dc)

Rnd 10: Ch 1, (sc, ch 2, 2 dc) in first st, skip next 2 sts, *(sc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st, skip next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

The first round completed.
The finished cap.
Kyleigh, who just turned three. She has the edging of her hat folded up to form a brim.

Lilly, 18 months, and her Uncle Josh. Sorry Josh, I will make you a pink Kitty Cap for your birthday!

Abby, age 4. I wonder who got into the  chocolate cookies?

Ana, age 10. She is growing up much too fast to suit her Grandmama!
Jasee, age 5, in her pretty pink Kitty Cap

Special thanks go to E. J. Miller and Jewel Fernley for testing this pattern.




Copyright BellaCrochet 2011. All rights reserved. This pattern may not be copied (except for personal use in making the item), sold or shared in any form.

11 comments:

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

Thank you for the pattern Ann! That's awesome. I can't wait to make a couple for my granddaughters.

Ann said...

You are welcome! And I hope you will share pictures.

CrochetBlogger said...

What an adorable crochet pattern! Thanks for sharing with us.

Mary said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I am going to start on one for my granddaughter. The cap is adorable and looks even more so on your cute as can be granddaughters. Thanks again and I will post a picture. Wish me luck, I am sort of an amateur still at crocheting.

Ann said...

Thank you, Kathyrn!

Ann said...

I am glad you like it, Mary. It is pretty simple, but if you have any questions let me know. After you get the first round made, it goes really quickly.

Janine said...

I love the looks of this cap and can't wait to try it. I'm wondering what size hook you would suggest to make a hat for my granddaughter. She just turned 2. Also, I tend to crochet very tightly. Thanks!

Ann said...

If you crochet tightly, I would try making the pattern with the 5.5mm hook called for, Janine. I crochet loosely, and used a 5mm hook to make one that fit my 18 month old granddaughter. It is a pretty forgiving pattern, and looks cute no matter if it fits tightly or loosely.

Martha Winger said...

Great design! Can't wait to make a few for gifts! Thanks for sharing your pattern.

crochethuahua said...

This is so cute! Thanks for giving us this free pattern. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this very nice pattern. I will make some too. I hope it turns as nice with my handspun yarn in a range of pink and white shades.
Best regards
B.